So it has been so long since I last posted, that I have actually had to look up how long it had been (July 17th). Life just got out of my control and work got hectic. Before whipping up this cake, I hadn’t baked in who knows how long.
Since my last post, I have left my job, left my flat, left the city I had called home for the last 8 years. I have never felt happier. Stress has gone, anxiety has decreased. Who knew change was so good. I have even started to eat healthier, I’ll get to the exercise part later… I don’t want to rush things.
It’s been a while since I made a chocolate cake, the last may have been my Chocolate Molasses Cake. I love the earthiness that the beetroot brings to this cake, plus I am counting the beetroot as one of my fruit and vegetables for the day and therefore deem this cake health food.
Chocolate Beetroot Cake
- 450g Can Beetroot
- 2 Eggs
- 220g Butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 150g Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 150g Semi –Sweet Chocolate
- 125g Dark Chocolate
- 60g Plain Greek Yoghurt, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 9” cake tin and line with baking paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate, place aside to cool.
- Drain beetroot and purée in a food processor until smooth.
- Cream together the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs into chocolate, making sure than chocolate is not too hot as eggs will scramble.
- Combine the egg/chocolate mixture and creamed butter. Fold in beetroot purée.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa. Fold into mixture.
- Pour batter into tin and bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 15 minutes before turning onto a cake rack to cool.
- Over a double-boiler, melt chocolate and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together the melted chocolate and Greek yoghurt.
- Chill for 15 minutes, spread on cake and enjoy.