Another week of hot Summer weather has flown by, and on the quest to get on track with this Summer body, my partner and I have been trying to cut down how much meat we have and move to a more vegetarian/plant-based diet. I for one, am an absolute lover of tofu and tempeh. But that is definitely a love that my partner does not share. I have managed to get him to fall in love with my veggie burgers though.
I have definitely had my fair share of both homemade and bought vegetarian patties that have tasted like I have taken a cereal box and bit right into the cardboard. Thankfully, I think I have cracked it. Well, I must have at least got close as I have made these patties a good 5 times in the last couple of weeks. The patties themselves are technically vegan, but I can’t resist a good ol’ egg and some cheese on my burgers. At least my intentions are good, right?.
These patties are filled with spinach, broccoli, beetroot, chickpeas and spices. The best thing about them is just how easy they are to make. Everything gets chucked into a food processor, whizzed up and bam, they are done. A quick blast in the oven and in 20 minutes, you have a delicious meat-free patty. They are moist, but don’t turn into that squishy slush you can sometimes find with meat-free patties. I can’t be the only one that hates that!
I have also grown quite fond of breaking the cooked patty up and having it in salads in place of meat. I have done this a lot with my Summer Chicken Orzo Salad that I posted last week.
I would love to hear about ideas you guys have when it comes to vegetarian/vegan recipes. I do love my meat, but I think a move to include a more plant-based diet is such a health benefit.
Veggie Burger Patties
- 240g Cooked Chickpeas
- 100g Rolled Oats
- 1 Medium-head Broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, roughly chopped
- 2C Spinach
- 2 Large Beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tbsp Sumac
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- In a food processor, blend the oats into a flour, transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- To the food processor, add the chickpeas and pulse 3-4 times until they are roughly blended. Do not pulse until they form a paste. Transfer to the bowl.
- To the food processor, add the Spinach, broccoli, carrots and beetroot. Pulse until combined. Add to the pulsed chickpeas.
- To the bowl, add in the tahini, mixed herbs, paprika, sumac and garlic. Mix until combined.
- Cover the mixture and leave to rest for 1 hour. This allows the oat flour to absorb any liquids and binds the mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Divide the mix into 8 and with wet hands, shape into patties.
- Bake the patties for 20 minutes, flipping half way through to ensure even browning.
This sounds like a wonderful veggie burger and it looks delicious!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! They crisp up really nicely too! Also really good crumbled over salad.