I hope your week has been a good one. Also, jealous if you aren’t in lockdown.
The sun has broken through over here in the UK, and for the 27th year in a row I have packed on the pounds right before Summer. I have a viable excuse now though, I’m experiencing Summer at the time I would be normally in Winter. The problems of living in the northern hemisphere when you come from the southern. Saying that, talking to my parents the other day, I am much happier in the 25ºC weather instead of their frosty 1ºC. Thankfully I will be going from Summer to Summer when I go back to New Zealand in August. That also gives me a second round at getting this Summer body ready, I just have to stay away from the Berry Crumble Muffins from my last post!
It’s been a busy week this week, my Partner keeps signing us up for jobs at his Mum’s house (we did do a little sneaky mid-lockdown move to the coast from London). So after being busy with making spice shelves, a hanging shelf and a plant pot stand, the only thing to do is obviously eat copious amounts of Cadbury Daim Dairy Milk chocolate.
As the weather is heating up and Summer is in full swing, I have been pumping out the salads recently. My new go to as of late has been this Summer Chicken Orzo Salad. It’s super quick and easy. Not a fan of chicken? Switch it up with some turkey, or even tempeh!
The below recipe serves 4, or 2 very hungry men.
Summer Chicken Orzo
- 100g Red Onion
- 1 Yellow Capsicum
- 100g Spinach Leaves
- 1 Cos Lettuce
- 200g Cucumber
- 550g Orzo, cooked and cooled
- 200g Cooked Chicken Breast
- 50g Flaked Almonds
- 80g Feta
- Finely dice the red onion, capsicum and cucumber, add to a large serving bowl.
- Roughly chop the spinach and cos lettuce and add to the bowl. Mix to combine.
- Shred, or dice, the cooked chicken breast and add to the bowl, along with the orzo, cooled to room temperature.
- Top with the flaked almonds and crumbled feta.
- Serve with a balsamic vinaigrette or tahini dressing.